|Running time||121 minutes|
|← Previous||Next →|
This article is about the film, for other usages see: Constantine (disambiguation).
Constantine is a 2005 American action horror film directed by Francis Lawrence. The film is based on the Hellblazer comic book series, with plot elements taken from the Dangerous Habits story arc (Issues #41-46) and the Original Sins trade paperback.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
John Constantine is a cynic with the ability to perceive and communicate with Half-Breeds in their true form. He seeks salvation from eternal damnation in Hell for a suicide attempt in his youth. Constantine exorcises demons back to Hell in a bid to earn favor with Heaven but has become weary over time. With death looming, he helps a troubled police detective learn the truth about her sister's death while simultaneously unraveling a much larger and darker plot.
Plot[edit | edit source]
Cast[edit | edit source]
- Keanu Reeves as John Constantine
- Rachel Weisz as Angela / Isabel Dodson / Mammon
- Shia LaBeouf as Chas Kramer
- Djimon Hounsou as Papa Midnite
- Tilda Swinton as Gabriel
- Gavin Rossdale as Balthazar
- Peter Stormare as Lucifer/Satan
- Pruitt Taylor Vince as Father Hennessy
- Max Baker as Beeman
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The film’s title was changed from Hellblazer to Constantine to avoid confusion with the Hellraiser films. The comics series itself was originally to be titled Hellraiser but was also retitled to avoid confusion with the film, released the previous year.
- Originally, Tarsem Singh was attached to direct with Nicolas Cage to star. However, the director went on and said "With Cage, I cannot make the film I had wanted to". Soon after Singh left the project, Cage did as well.
- This film was the first feature film directed by Francis Lawrence, who had previously been known mainly for music videos. He stated that rather than other comic book movies, the film was inpsired more by noire films, including Blade Runner, The Third Man and The Maltese Falcon.
Video[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Constantine: 15th Anniversary Reunion Comic-Con@Home 2020. Comic-Con (July 25, 2020). Retrieved on July 26, 2020.